Essential 7

Essential 7
The Name I Trust for Quality Essential Oils

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How to Stop Bleeding: A Quick Way to Treat a Wound and Avoid Blood Loss

Bleeding is the body's way of cleansing wounds. The flow of blood carries away dirt and debris that might cause infection, so a little bit of bleeding is actually a good thing. But a wound that bleeds excessively is dangerous. I'm sure you have heard the saying, "Life is in the blood." Therefore, if you lose too much blood, you may lose your life!
For years I have known to apply pressure to a bleeding wound, and to keep it elevated above the level of your heart, if possible. These are first aid techniques that really work. But sometimes they don't work very quickly. I have tried to stop the bleeding when my Dad, a heart patient who takes blood thinners, accidentally cuts himself. It's like trying to turn off a faucet without a handle. Bandages, pressure, and elevation do very little. Meanwhile, the red river flows - over the banks of the wound and onto the counter, the sink, the floor. All this from a small tear of the skin or a sliver of a cut. It's alarming.
In recent years I have learned a secret that everyone should know. There is an essential oil that has hemastatic properties. In other words, it arrests bleeding better than anything I have ever seen. It is better than styptic powder or cornstarch (these are also good to have on hand for small cuts). It works immediately, and it even smells good. And as the drum rolls, I would like to introduce to you the amazing... essential oil of geranium!
Okay, I am not hearing the applause, but it really does deserve at least a golf clap. One or two drops of geranium oil applied to an open wound will cause the bleeding to come to a screeching halt. Very deep, large wounds may need a few applications, combined with intervals of strong pressure. But this miracle oil can literally save your life!
Just this week I had an occasion to put geranium oil to the test. My ten-year-old son cut his toe wide open when he fell through a glass coffee table. (Don't ask! He's a boy and he is ten.) The cut was deep and jagged, and the blood flowing from it was very dark. Before I tried to inspect it for glass shards or apply any sort of bandage, I reached for the essential oil of geranium. I dropped several drops into the wound, and then applied some gauze and some pressure. Next, I wrapped his foot with medical tape to keep the gauze in place. Then we were off to the emergency room. About 45 minutes passed before a nurse unwrapped that dressing, but when she did, there was very little blood on the gauze and the wound was not bleeding at all. They were able to inspect the damage and sew him up very quickly.

I truly believe that no household should be without geranium oil. It should reside in the first aid kit or on the kitchen counter, where it can be grabbed in an instant. Who hasn't sliced a fingertip while cutting vegetables, and then tried unsuccessfully to keep a bandage in place to avoid bleeding all over the dinner? A drop of geranium oil can change that scene into a non-issue. It's amazing!

When shopping for essential oil of geranium, keep one thing in mind. You need therapeutic-grade oil; not aromatherapy-grade oil. Therapeutic-grade oils are highly concentrated, and they act as medicine to the body. They are made from the leaves of plants - steam distilled and natural, a gift from above. Find them in health food stores or specialty sites online. I buy all of my oils from Essential7.com. They have been sending me quality essential oils for many years. Geranium oil is inexpensive and available in several different sizes. Remember to buy enough to keep some at home and some at work. You never know when you might be someone's lifeline!

For more information on the healing powers of essential oils, read my books:

It's Thyme To Stop Snoring: Safely and Naturally


and